All breastfeeding mammas know that having the best nipple cream can make all the difference. Whether you’re already suffering from cracked or sore nipples, or you want to prevent them, we hope this list of the best nipple creams will help give you and your baby a positive breastfeeding experience.
12. Bella B Nipple Nurture Butter
If you’re looking for an alternative to lanolin creams, this plant-based nipple butter contains edible ingredients such as cocoa, mango, shea, and avocado oil to soothe and heal sore nipples. Since it only contains natural ingredients, there’s no need to wipe the product off before breastfeeding which makes it a powerful contender for the title of best nipple cream .
- Has a long shelf life
- Does not smell
- Comes out a bit chunky and may take a while to melt
- Hard to get out of the tube
Bottom Line: If you’re looking for a gentle cream and don’t mind putting a bit of an effort getting it out of the rube, this is the right product for your needs.
11. Milkies Nipple Nurture Balm
This nurturing balm for nipples from Milkies is a 100% organic and lanolin-free U.S.-made product. Containing calendula, shea butter, and marshmallow root, it soothes and heals sore nipples. This balm is safe for both mom and baby and will help relieve any discomfort so you can actually enjoy breastfeeding time.
- Not as greasy as other balms
- 100% natural
- Can be used to heal other cracked areas on the body
- The smell is not the most pleasant one
- Comes in a jar which makes it less sanitary than tube options
- Not really a balm because it’s a bit too runny
Bottom Line: Perfect for anyone who doesn’t mind a formula that’s more liquid than others, but nonetheless does an excellent job at nourishing very dry skin.
10. Tender Care Lanolin
The merits of this product are evident biased simply on the fact that many hospitals send a tube of it home with new moms. It is protective and moisturizing while still being safe for babies to ingest. The smooth texture and healing ingredients mean this is the best nipple cream for early breastfeeding and first-time moms.
- Travel sized
- Made with all-natural ingredients
- Much like other lanolin-based creams, it can stain
Bottom Line: The best nipple cream for breastfeeding and first-time moms.
9. Honest Organic Nipple Balm
It turns out “The Honest Company” make more than just cute diapers. This nipple cream is not only certified organic, it’s also certified vegetarian and is hypoallergenic. Packed full of hydrating natural oils, this is easily one of the best organic nipple creams.
- It is effective, gentle, and travel sized
- Free of lanolin, mineral oils, parabens, and synthetic fragrances
- Certified organic
- Can rub off breasts to stain bras, shirts, etc
Bottom Line: Organic and easy to apply, this is one of the best organic nipple creams.
8. Certified Organic Paw Paw & Honey Balm by Suvana Beauty
Lots of moms are on the lookout for the best organic nipple cream, and this Paw Paw and honey balm fits the bill. It’s safe to use as a lip balm, nipple cream, moisturizer, and to prevent diaper rash. In addition to being organic, it is also gluten-free and perfect for moms worried about food and skin sensitivities. Some moms also noticed it works great against eczema.
- Organic and multi-use balm
- Highly moisturizing without being greasy
- It comes in a relatively small tube so you might need to restock frequently
Bottom Line: The best nipple cream for moms who want a versatile salve instead of a one-off cream.
7. Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Nursing Butter
Cocoa butter is one of the best moisturizers out there. Dermatologist tested to ensure relief and promote healing, this nipple cream has the added perk of smelling great. Another plus for breastfeeding moms: it is low cost.
- Effective and inexpensive
- Light, smooth, and odor-free formula
- The tube is fragile and its cap easily snaps off
Bottom Line: This is a good cream for everyday use.
6. All-Natural Healing & Soothing Balm by EasyNurse
All breastfeeding moms are keenly aware that their baby will ingest whichever nipple cream they choose. This knowledge can leave lots of moms concerned about what’s in their nipple cream. Luckily for breastfeeding moms everywhere, this nipple cream is not only certified kosher, but all of the ingredients are recognized as safe by the FDA.
- Soothing for mamma and safe for baby to ingest
- Works wonders from the first application
- Contains wheat germ, so it’s not appropriate for babies with gluten sensitivities
Bottom Line: The best nipple cream for kosher-conscious breastfeeding moms.
Since you’re here, why not check out our list of the best stretch mark creams on the market if you’re looking for ways to deal with this issue.
5. Gerber Breast Therapy Gentle Moisturizing Balm
It’s not just breastfeeding moms who need nipple cream, moms who pump can suffer from sore nipples just as easily, especially with the high suction on electric pumps. This cream is extra smooth and moisturizing. It also helps to soothe and numb sore nipples making it ideal for mamas who pump their breast milk.
- Lanolin free, hypoallergenic, and extra moisturizing
- Easy to clean off nipples and breast pumps
- Includes ingredients that are not all natural or organic
Bottom Line: The best nipple cream for moms who pump.
4. Lansinoh Breastfeeding Salve
The only ingredient in this classic nipple cream is lanolin, which is all natural and hypoallergenic. This is the nipple cream that hospitals, lactation consultants, and moms all come back to time and again. It has a think consistency and will easily stay applied to sore nipples all day.
- A single ingredient with a lot of power behind it
- Completely odorless and highly moisturizing
- It’s thick and sticky. The consistency might not be right for everyone.
Bottom Line: A natural cream that will reliably heal a variety of problems without having to be removed before a feeding.
3. Aquaphor Advanced Therapy Skin Protectant & Baby Healing Ointment
Aquaphor is a famously good cream for diaper rash, but it also works for dry nipples. It’s considerably less expensive than traditional creams and works amazingly well at healing sore, cracked nipples. The downside? It has to be removed before your baby can nurse.
- Works well for sore nipples, diaper rash, and drool rash
- Highly moisturizing and healing ointment
- Greasy texture
Bottom Line: Good if you’re in a pinch but not the best for long-term use.
2. Motherlove Certified Organic Nipple Cream
This all-natural cream is 100% organic and safe for ingestion. It also contains no toxins and, because it comes in a glass bottle, no risk of BPA in the packaging. This is about as hardcore of a natural herb salve as you can buy.
- Natural and earth-friendly
- 100% certified organic and cruelty-free
- Doesn’t need to be washed off before nursing
- Has a strong olive oil smell
- Does not work well against deeper wounds
Bottom Line: The best organic nipple cream money can buy.
1. Earth Mama Angel Baby Natural Nipple Butter
“Earth Mama Angel Baby” is famous for making all natural products, and their nipple butter is no exception. Providing natural relief for dry and cracked nipples, this cream is safe for baby to ingest and is both certified organic and non-GMO.
- Organic, non-GMO, and effective
- Provides instant relief from pain and soreness
- Because it is organic, temperature inconsistencies in storage may cause some separation of ingredients.
Bottom Line: Hands down, the best organic nipple cream on the market.
And while you’re here, you might also want to check out our article on the best nursing bras of 2018.
Painful nipples can make breastfeeding a grueling experience for both you and your baby. Luckily, with the best nipple cream, you can both heal the damage that has already been done and to prevent further discomfort. The best nipple cream for breastfeeding will vary based on the needs of mom and baby, but once you find one that works breastfeeding can go from a dreaded and painful experience to a tender and nurturing one.