Baby formula is one of the most reliable ways to keep your baby healthy during the most critical time of their lives as a supplement to or a replacement for breast milk. The best organic baby formula should guarantee every ingredient it contains is safe and reliable and does not come from or contain byproducts developed with the help of genetic engineering. We gathered ten of the best organic baby formulas on that market with ratings between 3.5 and 4.6 and sorted them ascendingly based on their rating. We also analyzed their ingredients, ease of use, pros, and cons.
10. Organic Premium Infant Formula by The Honest Company
The Honest Company offers the best organic formula for babies through their 23.2-ounce premium infant formula. This product is USDA organic and non-GMO and is carefully balanced and modeled after breast milk.
- Has no traces of added ARA, gluten, GMOs, corn syrup solids, or treated milk.
- Includes prebiotics that work to support immune functions.
- Includes essential ingredients such as Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Calcium, Iron, and Choline.
- Some moms find that this product is too foamy after mixed.
- Has a short shelf life, which might become an inconvenience.
- Some report the vanilla scent is too powerful and the taste is too sweet.
Bottom line: This is the best organic baby formula for babies with a sweet tooth.
9. Soy-Based Infant Formula by Vermont Organics
This Vermont Organics formula is soy-based and fortified with iron. The 4-pack of 23.2-ounce cans are full with vitamins and nutrients that help your little one grow.
- This product is milk-free, lactose-free, and gluten-free and is a Kosher product.
- The recipe includes nutrients that are common in breast milk including choline, DHA, and ARA which aid in brain and eye development.
- Conveniently priced.
- This product has a strong smell that might not be tolerated by some babies.
- Has a short shelf life so you cannot buy in bulk.
Bottom line: This could be the best organic formula for lactose or gluten intolerant babies depending on preferences.
8. Happy Tot Organic Toddler Milk by Happy Baby
HappyTot provides some of the most reliable organic toddler milk available on the market today. This product helps aid in development as your little one outgrows baby formula and transitions to regular foods.
- A serving contains 35% of the recommended daily calcium intake and 20% of the recommended daily iron intake.
- Contains DHA and ARA to help develop your toddler’s brain health.
- Does not contain high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors or sweeteners, trans fats, or BPA; tastes like regular milk!
- Conveniently priced when compared to other products.
- The consistency of the mixed product is strange and makes dishes hard to clean, according to reviews.
- Some parents report a bad taste with this formula which might be a problem for some babies.
Bottom line: Although this is a reliable product using high-quality ingredients and is one of the best organic baby formulas out there, it’s not great for picky eaters.
Note: If you are interested in other organic products for your child, we also recommend reading our collection of the best baby foods of 2018.
7. Organic Infant Formula by Earth’s Best
Earth’s Best products are certified organic by the USDA. This is a milk-based formula with no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives and is the closest formula to breast milk of all the Earth’s Best products.
- This formula is Kosher and contains no growth hormones, antibiotics, corn syrup, or any other potentially harmful ingredients.
- Contains DHA, ARA, lutein, prebiotics, and a whey/casein ratio that’s identical to breast milk.
- Extensive shelf life: up to 3 years.
- The formula is too foamy and might cause bloating and difficulty burping.
- Research by some parents determined the formula is not 100% organic.
- Some parents report this formula causes constipation.
Bottom line: This is the best organic baby formula for those who want to buy in bulk as it has an extended shelf life.
6. Organic Infant Formula by Happy Baby
Happy Baby Organic formula is a milk based powder with iron, fatty acids, DHA and ARA that help develop baby’s brain and eye sight. This stage 1 formula is the best organic baby food available in a 21-ounce easy-open container.
- This formula is modeled after breast milk and is easy to digest.
- Contains prebiotics, proteins, vitamins, minerals, lactose, and DHA and ARA from non-GMO algae.
- Some parents found that this formula may cause constipation.
- Contains palm oil, which boosts the production of bad cholesterol.
- For a formula, it does not have the smartest or the highest-quality packaging.
Bottom line: This is one of the best organic infant formulas available on the market loaded with prebiotics, proteins, vitamins, and minerals that help your little one grow.
5. Enspire Formula by Enfamil
Enfamil Enspire is loaded with lactoferrin that works to support immune health. This is the best organic baby formula available that contains MFGM to help babies with cognitive development, as well as DHA and Choline that work to nourish the brain.
- This product has a dual prebiotic blend that supports a healthy immune system.
- Parents report improvements in their babies’ sleep, digestion, mood, and skin after using this formula.
- The formula is light and easy to digest.
- Quite expensive when compared to other brands.
- Some parents report this formula affects the digestive system and causes diarrhea and gas.
Bottom line: Enfamil is known for manufacturing some of the best products available and this organic baby formula meets customer expectations.
Note: This product is currently unavailable, but you should check back from time to time to see if it’s back in stock.
4. Organic Toddler Formula by Baby’s Only
Baby’s Only Organic formula is a soy-based option rich in iron and makes over 80 fluid ounces of formula. This formula meets the Pure10Pledge on organic purification, contains no GMOs, algal DHA, bleach, or acid.
- Contains Alpha Linolenic, DHA and ARA precursors, and Linoleic fatty acid.
- Although organic, this formula has a pleasant smell and taste.
- The seller is prompt and reliable.
- All parents report a smooth transition from breast milk to this formula.
- Short shelf life.
Bottom line: This is a quality formula that offers a lot by way of nutritional development for growing toddlers.
3. Toddler Formula with Organic LactoRelief by Baby’s Only
Baby’s Only Toddler formula is equipped with organic lactorelief that provides comfort to little ones with lactose sensitivity. This product meets the Pure10Pledge of organic products.
- This formula is gluten, hexane, and lactose-free and contains DHA and ARA from egg yolks.
- Light formula that does not upset sensitive stomachs.
- One of the most comprehensive formulas when it comes to the nutrients it contains.
- Some moms find the size of packaging inconvenient.
- This is more expensive than most baby formulas.
- It is difficult to mix and stays clumpy.
Bottom line: It’s the best organic baby formula for toddlers with lactose sensitivity who do not like soy-based products.
2. Good Start Infant Formula by Gerber
This product is a gentle non-GMO formula for Stage 1 development. This product is gentle on babies’ tummies and has great comfort proteins and has been modeled after breast milk to provide complete nutrition.
- This formula contains comfort proteins which are easily digested by newborns and does not cause diarrhea or constipation.
- It dissolves easily and does not promote bubbles or foaming.
- Has a good quality/price ratio.
- Some users report a bitter taste.
- This product contains palm olein which can be harmful to some babies.
Bottom line: If you are looking for an easy to use and healthy baby formula, deemed the best baby formula by thousands of verified customers online, this is the best organic baby formula for you.
1. Organic Toddler Formula by Earth’s Best
This toddler formula by Earth’s Best is based on milk powder and is ideal for babies 1 year and up. It contains DHA, iron, Vitamins A, C, and E, as well as zinc. It is vanilla flavored and USDA certified organic. This product has no antibiotics, growth hormones, artificial colors, or flavors.
- Most reviews state this formula worked great for babies who got gas from other formulas.
- Has a great quality/price ratio.
- For many babies, it’s the only formula that does not cause irritation, bloating, or other outbreaks.
- Can sometimes clump in the bottle.
- Has a short shelf life.
Bottom line: This is the best organic baby formula that will sustain your little one’s development as they outgrow the formula stage.
Our research suggests the best organic baby formula according to online reviews and ratings from verified customers comes from Earth’s Best. Nevertheless, products from Gerber, Baby’s Only or Enfamil are also reliable and more affordable choices. Do you have a favorite organic baby formula you did not see on this list?