No products found.
This article presents the ten best baby gates for stairs available for online purchase in 2018. We considered their ease of installation, sturdiness, materials, design, and resilience to bumping or applying pressure. To make sure we provide accurate info, we also went through ratings and reviews from verified customers and sorted the products after their rating in ascending order.
10. Secure Pressure Mount Wood and Plastic Gate by Summer Infant
These wood and plastic deco gates are the best baby gates for stairs offered by Summer Infant. This gate is pressure mounted for increased security and measures 24-inches high and 27 to 42 inches wide. The rubber bumper allows increased width when adjusted by 1-inch increments. It comes with a rich walnut finish that is both elegant and discreet.
- Has a great design that’s much more discreet than classic white models.
- Installation requires no tools and the rubber inserts protect walls from damage.
- Decently sturdy once properly installed.
- Some individuals believe this gate is not sturdy enough for heavier toddlers.
- Difficult to move, so it becomes a semi-permanent gate whether you like it or not.
9. The Step-to-Open Gate in Silver by Summer Infant
This gate is 32-inches tall and uses a dual-sided foot pedal to offer hands-free operation. The gate also comes with grip handles for extra comfort and can fit openings between 30 inches and 45 inches, has a stylish design, and a silver/black finish. It is the best baby gate for stairs regarding the ease of operation.
- A simple and effective solution that is completely hands-free.
- Has a great design.
- The hands-free pedal works great even after months of use.
- Some users believe this gate swings closed too quickly.
- It is a bit noisy when shutting.
8. The 36-inch EZ Fit Gate Adapter Kit by Little Partners
This 36-inch kit is a great choice for protecting your little ones from tumbling down stairs. This product is made of wood and is extremely durable; in addition, it is built to secure in place without damaging rails or banisters. This kit is compatible with any square stairway post; installation can be completed with the included hardware.
- A sturdy and reliable baby gate for stairs that requires plenty of effort from an adult to knock it off.
- Requires no drilling, sawing, or other alterations to the banisters.
- The seller has great customer service.
- Some individuals found that this kit is difficult to install.
- Some customers report the gate is sturdy, but the velcro straps are not that good.
7. Lift, Lock and Swing Gate by Safety 1st
Safety 1st company prides itself on creating some of the safest baby-proofing product; therefore, this entry from our top is one of the best baby gates for stairs available for online purchase. This gate comes with optional hardware or pressure mounted installation systems and can be operated with one hand thanks to the top release handle. It measures 26 inches and can fit into openings 28 to 42 inches wide.
- Sturdy and long-lasting.
- Very conveniently priced.
- Can be used as a mobile or fixed gate thanks to the included hinges.
- This gate appears extremely bulky.
- Some customers report it requires too much effort to operate.
- Even though it comes with wall protection pads, it still rips paint.
6. Deluxe Staircase Simple to Secure Gate by Summer Infant
This gate has a removable swing stop mechanism that prevents the gate from swinging over stairs and can be installed in spaces between 30 and 48 inches wide. The four-point mounted installation kit ensures the gate is sturdy and safe for use virtually anywhere in your home.
- Very quick & easy to use by adults.
- Small pets can get through this gate.
- It’s very easy to install.
- Can be too difficult to open one-handed, even with the unique grip.
- The installation instructions are not very accurate, according to verified customers.
- Not a self-closing gate.
5. Easy-Close Metal Safety Gate by Munchkin
The easy-close metal gate by Munchkin measures 29.5 x 29.5-35 inches and has a U-shaped steel frame that keeps the gate firmly installed. This gate is pressure-fit with hardware for added safety and locks shut with a simple push. The handle also has a double locking system which makes the whole gate more effective.
- The one-handed opening system is intuitive and easy to use.
- A sturdy baby gate with dual locking system.
- You can purchase extensions separately for a sleek look.
- The latch quality is inconsistent according to online reviews.
- No matter the latch quality, it is a noisy system.
- Does not have an auto-close system and needs another push of the button to lock.
4. Top of Stairs Gate by Evenflo
The top of stair gate by Evenflo is made of stylish wood that fits in with any decor and can expand from 30 to 48 inches. It’s 32-inches tall and has a removable swing control. This gate has a child-resistant one-hand release system and a highly efficient design overall.
- If properly installed, the one-hand opening/closing mechanism works great.
- Very tall and expandable.
- Easy to uninstall in most conditions.
- Gate installation mechanisms need to be tightened over time.
- A bit more difficult to install on banisters and walls with trims.
Recommended read: Since you’re researching safety measures for your little one, you might also be interested in the best baby monitors on the market!
3. Multi-Use Tall Gate by Summer Infant
This extra-tall walk through round gate in bronze is stylish, reliable, and extremely affordable. Summer Infant touched all the bases when they designed this model. It stands at 3 feet tall and can fit openings ranging from 28 inches to 48 inches wide. This gate uses a pressure mounted installation and additional hardware that reinforces it for top-of-stair use.
- One of the widest and tallest baby gates for stairs on the market.
- Locks shut automatically every time it swings closed.
- Even after months of use, this baby gate for stairs shows no signs of wear.
- Plastic guards can break off rather easily, but this is more cosmetic and does not impact function.
- Although it provides strength, the bottom bar is an inconvenience to some customers.
- It is very noisy.
2. The Decorative Gate by Summer Infant
This decorative gate blends wood and metal in a sleek and extremely modern design. This dual locking gate has an adjustable fit between 28 and 42.5 inches wide and 30 inches tall and can be installed with the pressure mounted tension bolts. These are the second best baby gates for stairs according to ratings and reviews from verified customers and they have a great design in our opinion.
- The door can swing in either direction.
- Has a dual locking system for higher security.
- Protects banisters and walls.
- Some users experience sliding if it’s not refitted from time to time.
- The gate opening might be too narrow for some users.
1. Loft Aluminum Baby Gate by Munchkin
This metal gate by Munchkin has an indexed sizing system that makes installation quick and easy due to pre-set index positions. The system adjusts extremely well for vertical fits in areas with uneven walls. This gate has a quick-release wall mount that allows you to install and remove it quickly. It fits openings between 26.5-inches and 40-inches wide, measures 30.5-inches tall, and contains a double locking system.
- Can swing open in either direction.
- Has an attractive design with a high-quality finish.
- Has an adjustable opening size.
- Installation can be challenging for some users.
- The gate’s latch end can sag after repeated use.
- The instructions are confusing.
These are the top ten best baby gates for stairs on the market today. The winning model comes from Munchkin and is made from aluminum, but gates from brands like Summer Infant, Evenflo, Safety 1st, or Little Partners are also reliable choices thanks to their sturdiness, ease of installation, materials, and design. Do you have other suggestions for this top?