Having a sick child is never fun for any parent, but your anxiety can seriously spike if your little one starts running a fever. Having the best baby thermometer can help you decide between a dose of cold medicine and a trip to the ER. To help give you peace of mind while your child is under the weather, here’s a list of the 10 best baby thermometers.
10. Summer Infant Pacifier Thermometer
You read that right, this is a pacifier thermometer, no surprise this is included on a list designed to help you find the best baby thermometer. What better way to measure a squirmy and fussy baby’s temperature than by giving them a pacifier? The pacifier will read the temperature and beep when it’s done, as well as giving you a color-coded display.
- Easy to use and read without making your baby uncomfortable.
- Because it is an oral thermometer, it is not the most accurate and can take a while to read your baby’s temperature.
- You cannot replace the batteries.
Bottom Line: If you have a fussy baby who loves pacifiers, this might be the key to getting their temperature.
9. TempTraq Wearable Smart Thermometer with Mobile Alerts
This is a wearable thermometer that tracks your baby’s temperature in real time and will alert you if there’s a temperature spike. The included app also allows you to track medication and send temperature readings directly to your pediatrician’s office, which is a real plus.
- Continuous monitoring means not only more comfort for your baby, but also gives you piece of mind.
- One of the least intrusive thermometers for babies out there.
- This is a single-use patch; every time you want to take a reading, you need a new one.
Bottom Line: A high-tech solution that gives you peace of mind and, with the alerts in place, means you can sleep instead of waking up to check your child’s temperature.
8. Kinsa Digital Smart Ear Thermometer for Babies
This is a seriously high-tech thermometer that uses Bluetooth to connect to your phone and store separate readings for each family member. The app also allows you to track symptoms and medications to give both you, and your doctor, a more complete picture of what’s going on. Best of all, the thermometer itself can store 50 readings.
- Lots of tracking and data available on the app.
- The ability to monitor multiple family members is invaluable when you have two or more sick kids.
- Like many ear thermometers, it does not come with or require a probe cover, which means germs can spread more easily on the thermometer itself.
Bottom Line: Amazingly techy and advanced thermometer with an ingenious way to keep tabs on all of your patients.
7. OCCObaby Clinical Forehead Baby Thermometer with Flexible Tip
This thermometer set includes both an infrared forehead thermometer and a rectal thermometer to assure accuracy. Rectal thermometers are unquestionably the best baby thermometer type, both infants and newborns, and the fact that one is included as a bonus is a big plus. The infrared thermometer has a silent mode so you won’t wake your baby. It also can be used to measure room temperature, bath temperature, and food temperature and will store up to 20 readings.
- That blissful silent mode give you accuracy, peace of mind, and a still sleeping baby.
- Can be inaccurate at times.
Bottom Line: If you want your thermometer to come with extra features and a built-in second opinion for accuracy, this is the best forehead thermometer for you.
6. Braun Forehead Thermometer
Many call this the best baby thermometer but it only got the sixth place on our list; the Braun forehead thermometer has a color-coded screen and is noninvasive. It measures temperature using the temporal artery, which research has suggested is as accurate as a rectal measurement in a newborn with none of the mess or fuss.
- Easy to use, easy to read, and accurate.
- Will not display the temperature in Celsius.
Bottom Line: The accuracy of a rectal thermometer without being intrusive; yes, please!
5. Fast Reading Digital Medical Thermometer by Enji
Rectal thermometers aren’t everyone’s first choice as the best baby thermometer, but when it comes to newborns they are seriously accurate, affordable, and easier to use than you might think. This thermometer is no exception; it’s the most inexpensive thermometer on the list and is stunningly accurate for newborn and infant temperatures.
- This is a super accurate thermometer with a 10-second read and flexible tip.
- As accurate as they may be, there is no hiding the fact that this is a rectal thermometer. Your baby will not be asleep while you take their temperature with this one.
Bottom Line: An inexpensive and accurate thermometer with good quality and durability.
4. Medical Ear Thermometer with Forehead Function by iProven
This thermometer pulls double duty with both an ear and forehead function. It can store up to 20 readings and has a softly backlit screen to make it easy to read. The fact that it can switch from an ear to a forehead thermometer makes it ideal for families who have both infants and older children in their home and definitely helps make it the best baby thermometer.
- The ability to switch between forehead and ear modes is seriously cool and the large memory is impressive.
- It does not come with sanitary covers, which means you could spread germs from kid to kid if it is not properly sanitized in between temperature readings.
Bottom Line: The best of both worlds for families: a forehead thermometer for baby and ear thermometer for any older children.
3. Medical Infrared Non-Contact Forehead Thermometer
This non-contact thermometer is an infrared thermometer for your baby that provides you results within one second. The results can be read on the screen or by using the bilingual read aloud feature. It stores quite a bit of data, 12 consecutive results to be precise, which makes monitoring your baby’s temperature over time that much easier.
- Because it’s a non-contact thermometer, it’s easier and quicker to get your baby’s temperature.
- The read-aloud feature is pretty cool.
- The thermometer will emit a beep which can wake some babies up.
Bottom Line: This is a good quality, highly rated thermometer with a lot of cool functions. If you are looking for an infrared thermometer, this could be the best baby thermometer for you.
2. Braun Ear Thermometer
With amazing features like a pre-warmed tip and a guidance system to ensure correct positioning, this could easily be the best ear thermometer for baby. Besides all of the technology behind this thermometer, it also comes with 21 lens filters and a protective case, making it as sanitary as it is effective.
- Repeatable accuracy and precision with a mountain of awards to back up the brand.
- Because the screen is not backlit, it can be hard to read in a dark room. Also, it unfortunately only stores the last recorded measurement.
Bottom Line: an Incredibly accurate thermometer that is more sanitary than its competitors.
1. TOWABO Forehead Digital Thermometer Medical Grade
This looks like the radar gun of baby thermometers, and it is seriously high-tech. Its screen will change color to let you know if your baby’s temperature is in a safe range and, because it’s an infrared thermometer, there’s never any worry of cross-contamination. Another plus: it can also be used to check the temperature of your baby’s room, bath water, or bottle, which makes it the best baby thermometer.
Note: The TOWABO Forehead Digital Thermometer is currently unavailable. Until it gets back in stock you can check out a similar option from Equinox.
- Lots of modes and features make this thermometer seriously “multi-use”.
- Because it has so many features and uses, this thermometer is not the most user-friendly.
Bottom Line: This is a really good quality thermometer with a lot of options included besides the obvious “does my baby have a fever?”.
When buying the best baby thermometer, it’s important to have a design that will not only function properly but do everything you need it to do. Maybe you just want a quick temperature and no hassle, or maybe you want to be able to use the same thermometer for bath water and bottles. Either way, the key to finding the best thermometer for baby is to look around, weigh your options, and ultimately go with your gut.