Expecting a little one this year? Or perhaps you’ve been inundated with baby shower invites that you’re lost when it comes to figuring out what to buy. Whether you are looking to expand your infant’s toy collection or purchasing a gift for a friend’s new baby, there are some key things to consider once you hit the baby department. Toys range in categories from light up toys, sensory toys for infants, and educational toys. So what are the best infant toys in 2018? Read on to see what some of the top 10 best toys for infants are this year!
10. Sassy Wonder Wheel Activity Center
Spinning, colorful beads, and multiple textures have your baby exploring all of his senses, making this one of the best infant toys out there. It features centerpiece spinners that train the baby’s visual tracking, fine motor skills, and hand-eye coordination. In addition, a suction cup base allows you to easily attach the toy wheel to a solid surface.
- Babies love the spinning feature and how interactive the toy is
- A great toy to stick to baby’s highchair tray or bring it on a plane and stick to the fold-out tray
- Some had trouble with the suction cup sticking to surfaces for very long.
Bottom Line: Kids seem to like this toy with its spinning feature. Parents like it because it can attach to a surface and provide entertainment (so they can take a break!)
9. Nuby Icybite Hard/Soft Teething Keys – 2Pack
A versatile little toy that really acts as a pacifier and teething device for the baby! Baby can have his own set of keys that he will love to suck on. The PurICE gel inside each key keeps it nice and cold for aching gums and the massaging dual surface of each key ensures the baby’s gum ache will be soothed.
- Easy grip design
- Fun key shape for baby to play with and chew on
- Nuby texture helps massage baby’s gums
- Instead of chewing on the soft key parts, some parents complain their child chews on the ring part instead.
- Too many keys on ring make it hard for baby to chew on just one.
Bottom Line: Babies seem to be drawn to keys and this toy fits the bill since it’s affordable, key-shaped, and doubles as a teether.
Recommended read: if you are interested in more toys that can help your baby while teething, you might find our article on the best teething toys of the year very helpful!
8. Baby Einstein Bendy Ball
A bendable and squeezable rubber ball with a rattle inside! This infant toy is easy to hold, bend, and squeeze and makes attractive rattle sounds that keep the baby entertained. In addition, the popping colors only add to the attractiveness of this toy.
- Great for travel as its compact for on-the-go
- Nice and lightweight, colorful, and has a fun rattle inside
- Parents wish the material of the ball was a little softer and more pliable.
- There are screws in the ball which is a concern for some parents
Bottom Line: You can’t really go wrong when purchasing a ball for a child – they’re one of the best infant toys, especially one with a rattle inside!
7. Baby Einstein Octoplush
A plushy little octopus is perfect for infants. This cute little sea creature plays music when your baby squeezes his head and the arms teach color recognition when pressed. In addition, each color also comes with a cute classical tune.
- Comes with three languages: English, Spanish, and French
- Has volume control and an ON/OFF button
- It’s not easy to clean, nor machine washable
- After some use, parents have complained that it can start to repeat itself or become too sensitive to the touch
Bottom Line: For the price, it’s a fun and sweet little toy that will entertain. It’s educational with the three languages to choose from as well. Educational toys are some of the best toys for infants.
6. Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Baby’s First Blocks
One of the best toddler educational toys – this sort and stack toy is great for your child to learn shape and size recognition. 5 different shapes and 10 colorful blocks fit into an easy-to-carry bucket that is fun for toddlers to carry with them.
- Easy for little ones to play with and open the bucket lid because it doesn’t snap on
- Light, colorful, and durable plastic shapes
- Well made and easy for little hands to pick up and grip
- Versatile carry bucket will have your kids putting all kinds of toys inside
- The main complaint about this toy is that the lid doesn’t snap on and stay in place
Bottom Line: Not only is your child learning his shapes with these colorful blocks, but what kid doesn’t like putting things into a bucket and carrying it around? Another one of the best infant toys out there.
5. Sassy Developmental Bumpy Ball
One of the best toys for infants are balls! This ball promotes your baby’s sensory and tactile development with its varying textures and materials. Bumps on the sides help baby grasp and reach while the rattle sounds stimulate auditory and neural connections. This brightly colored ball is fun for all!
- A simple, lightweight toy that can keep baby entertained and stimulated
- Babies love the colors, patterns, shapes, and noises this infant toy makes
- Not machine-washable, due to the bumps on the sides the ball doesn’t roll.
Bottom Line: Some babies love it, others could care less. It all comes down to your baby and his/her preferences.
4. Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Rock-a-Stack
This is a classic and one of the best infant toys! This toy has your baby learning the concept of size and stacking. The colorful rings are fun to look at and the top ring has swirling, rattling beads inside to add even more fun.
- Light-weight rings are easy for little ones to pick up and play with
- Colorful rings of varying sizes keep baby amused whether he/she is trying to stack them or just toss and play with them
- Some parents have complained of the color chipping off the rings and having their infants put them in their mouths
- Others say this toy isn’t as sturdy as they used to be.
Bottom Line: If you grew up with this toy, chances are you’ll want one for your child not only for their enjoyment but for your nostalgia!
3. B. Toys B. One Two Squeeze Blocks
Multi-functional toy! Your child will love to stack these blocks, squeeze them, float them in the bathtub, and chew on them! These blocks have embossed designs on each side, are colorful and easy to tote around in their own 100% recycled bag which makes it one of the best infant toys for environmentally-friendly parents.
- Great for kids from infants to toddlers
- Easy for travel, nice and soft rubber material, blocks squeak when squeezed
- Harder for younger babies to squeeze and a little large to grip
Bottom Line: Parents love that these are soft blocks, so if tossed they won’t hurt baby or others!
2. Baby Einstein Take Along Tunes Musical Toy
A cute little handheld musical device for baby! This toy plays seven classical songs with the simple touch of a button and promotes music appreciation and recognition, thus aiding the cognitive development. it’s one of the best infant toys on the market at the moment as it is long-lasting and, although simple, very entertaining for the baby.
- Lights flash varying colors with the music
- Easy to operate even for a small child
- Volume control and ON/OFF button is essential for parents
- Toggle beads on the handle are great for teething
- Small and compact
- Speaker is on the back of the device so if it’s laying on the floor, music will be muffled
- The middle button to play the music could stick out more for little fingers to find and press it easily
Bottom Line: This handy little caterpillar music player will go a long way with your child. Not only do infants love it, but your child will continue to grow with it up to 1 and 2 years old! Most importantly, compared to other musical toys, parents appreciate the classical music this Baby Einstein musical toy plays. Hands down, the best infant toy available for purchase in 2018.
1. Playgro My First Bead Buddy Giraffe for Baby
One of the best infant toys 0 3 months, this funny plush giraffe is a great sensory toy as well with the varying mix of fabrics. Rattle beads and click-clack sounds stimulate the auditory senses.
- Light-weight and easy for little hands to hold
- Has a number of tactile things for baby to explore like crinkly ears, rattle beads, and plastic teething rings
- Teething rings are smooth plastic instead of having a ribbed rubber coating
Bottom Line: Another affordable, light-weight and easy to pop in the baby bag for outings. The sensory and tactile aspects of the giraffe keep baby entertained.
These items are only a taste of what is out there in the realm of baby and infant toys. The 10 items listed above, however, were some of the most popular and best infant toys rated by parents, friends, and grandparents. Which ones do you own? Do your kids love them, or could they do without? What would you suggest to add to the list of top 10 baby toys?
And while you’re here, I also recommend reading my article on the best baby monitors of the year. You can choose an audio one, but video monitors will allow you to be up to date with your baby’s activity while also giving them independence!