It's hard to believe, but your baby is, well, not a baby anymore. One-year-olds are entering toddlerhood, and they are on the move. Gone are the simple newborn gifts. Now it is time for educational toys that keep your child engaged, encourage active learning, foster their speech, walking, and more. While not all kids approaching their first birthday are doing the same things, these are some of the best toys that hit certain milestones most children reach around this time.
Included in this article are dolls to inspire imaginative play, toys that help with gross motor skills, and even cause-and-effect toys that teach them that doing something creates another reaction. Whether your child is getting into everything or is more laid back and relaxed, these are the best toys for a 1 year old to keep them happy, healthy, and growing.
How We Reviewed
The following products were reviewed based on the various parameters like features, pros & cons, price, and where to buy.
Overall Price Range Of The Products
The following products range from $4 to $45. Some of the toys feature songs and musical sounds to entertain your kids, which comes with a higher price range. However, a number of other toys in the lower price range are jam-packed with activities to engage the toddlers while targeting the developmental skills of the growing child. Regardless of your financial needs, there's a toy that is perfect for your 1-year-old's playtime.
What We Reviewed
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL MUSICAL INSTRUMENT: This kids xylophone can be played in variety of ways. The kids can fetch balls as...
- FINE MOTOR SKILLS DEVELOPMENT: Promotes dexterity, hand eye coordination, manipulation, arm movement, cause and effect
- ESTABLISH MUSICALITY: This pounding toys for toddlers encourages musical development and exploration, audio recognition...
This durable wooden multifunctional musical instrument can be played in a variety of ways. Little ones can pound the balls and create music as they please with this cute wooden toy, which is suitable for children from twelve months old to three years. The tiny wooden hammer is designed to pound the balls onto the xylophone, which will then play a little tune.
Besides helping with musical recognition, this toy has a cause-and-effect aspect, which is a skill toddlers are developing right at the one-year age mark. They will enjoy hours of fun seeing what they can do to make things happen. This toy is one of the best toys for 1 year old.
- Get ready for fun and adventures with the Pull and Sing Puppy by VTech; pull or push the playful puppy to activate music...
- This playful interactive puppy loves to follow you around; pull the puppy by its cord to activate music and sounds, see...
- Three colorful buttons promote fine motor skill development; light-up nose flashes along with all voice, sound and...
Key Features of Vtech Pull and Sing Puppy include an interactive battery powered puppy for the little ones to pull around on its leash while the puppy sings and teaches numbers, the alphabet, and parts of the body. All you need is two AA batteries to get this guy to do its tricks, which includes 60 plus songs, melodies, sounds, and phrases. Three colorful buttons promote fine motor skill development, light-up nose flashes along with all voices, and sound and musical responses attract your little one's attention.
Pull or push the playful puppy to activate the music, see the puppy's legs move, and watch the keys swing. All these features grab your toddler’s interest for hours, and that’s exactly why this product is one of the best toys for 1 year old.
Little People Mini Farm features your favorite farm scenes to keep your little toddler entertained for hours. This toy is definitely one of the best toys for 1 year old. It includes a magic well with a bucket to fill, removable farm fence pieces to rearrange and rebuild at your child's whim, activities to help Eddie feed hay to the horses, and endless games of hide-and-seek through the swinging doors.
- Appropriate for children ages 6 to 36 months. Skills learned while your kids play: pretend play, shapes, colors, and...
- Children build motor skills as they sort, match, stack, empty and fill. Store everything you need right in the basket...
- Explore shapes and colors/colours with food pieces, and manners and more with fun learning songs
This fun colorful picnic basket set is strictly for the enjoyment of toddlers. It comes with all of the settings for a perfect basket of deliciousness. This 14-piece picnic set includes six food items, two plates, two forks, two cups, one picnic blanket, and one basket. Children build motor skills as they sort, match, stack, empty, and fill. Store everything you need right in the basket for easy clean-up every time! Lift the basket’s lid to hear sweet instrumental music and fun sound effects.
The fact that parents can connect to the online LeapFrog Learning Path for customized learning ideas and insights from LeapFrog makes this product one of the 10 best toys for 1 year old.
- Recital-ready in leotard, tutu, tights and pink slippers with ribbon laces
- Soft, supple vinyl skin is delicately scented with vanilla
- Calin is the perfect my first baby doll
We all know how much toddlers love babies and like to be in charge of a little one, just like their mommies. This 12-inch cuddly soft baby doll for little mommies ages 18 months and up features sleeping eyes and smooth, supple vinyl skin that’s delicately scented with vanilla. Its soft beanbag body invites cuddling and can be posed like a real baby for creative pretend play, claiming its place among the 10 best toys for 1 year old.
This doll can be air-dried by hanging it from the tab on the back of its neck, making it easy to clean. Your child will never have to live without their favorite doll, even when accidents happen!
Mon Premier Bebe Calin Ballerina wears an all-in-one-piece ballerina fashion that's easy to put on and take off. She is recital-ready in a leotard, tutu, tights, and pink slippers with ribbon laces. She will always find a safe place in your toddler’s arms.
This bright board book with essential words and pictures to grab your little one’s attention is unmistakably one of the 10 best toys for 1 year old. There are 100 color photographs to look at and talk about, and 100 simple first words to read and learn as well. The pages are made from tough, durable board for hours of fun reading, and the cover is softly padded for little hands to hold. Ready to be amazedas the little ones learn new words.
- Pull the little shamrock tail and listen to "Hush Little Baby" lull them to sleep. Suitable for ages birth and up.
- Music box is water proof, so parents will love that this item can be washed in the washing machine on the gentle cycle.
- Toys in Haba's Pure Nature line are made with organic cottons that are hygienic and machine washable.
This musical plush toy arrives with a waterproof music box to entertain your little ones. Pull the tail and listen to the lullaby. The organic hygienic cotton and machine washable clothing are added benefits and reasons why you will find this plush toy among the list of best 10 toys for 1-year-olds.
Little ones will have a blast playing with this toy set, which features two iconic Fisher-price toys – a rock-a-stack and baby’s first blocks. Featuring five stacking rings in bright different colors for the toddlers to arrange and stack, this toy will keep them busy and engaged while developing fine motor skills. Your baby will love to put the blocks in the bucket one by one, and then dump the bucket to see all the colorful blocks come tumbling out—over and over again! And while they're having fun, they're exercising important development skills too, like hand-eye coordination, and thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Make a new long-trunked friend to play with around the house
- With a pull-along cord or convenient spaced back handle, your child is in for a treat
- Boosts your child's hand-eye coordination, balance, and creativity
This cute wooden elephant with a pull-along cord will become your child’s favorite toy in no time, we are sure. Your toddler can push, pull, or carry along this bright colored pal on adventures with ease and that makes it one of the 10 best toys for 1 year old. Crafted in such a way as to make it easy for small hands to grasp and pick up, the Elephant Toy is a good playmate that enhances your baby's developmental skills. The solid maple construction makes it durable enough to race around the house with your youngster and keep rolling for generations of play.
- The Chatter Telephone was the ultimate pretend play toy with its ringing rotary dial
- With eyes that roll up and down, a mouth that chatters, and a dial that rings
- Preschoolers love to chat on the phone-and this classic roll-along pull-toy with a friendly face
This retro chatter phone from Fisher-Price is the perfect toy to teach your baby about the pre-digital era. Who wouldn’t love to have a pretend chat with grandma by dialing numbers rotating the rings! The eyes also open and close, and the phone has a dial that rings with movement, which will keep your baby entertained. Your little one can also pull this toy along from room to room so the fun can follow them while they simultaneously work on their gross motor skills.
This toy is suited for 1-year-olds and up, and many parents have found that their preschoolers are really into the imagination play element the retro phone provides, which makes it a great toy that will be with the family for a few years' time.
The above list offers suggestions based on product information, age group, ease of use, activities offered, developmental skills gained, and affordability. Every one of these toys will help entertain and impart learning skills to young, growing brains. Although each product is different, they won’t disappoint the little ones with the variety of fun and activities waiting to be explored.
All the above products are suitable for 1-year-olds, and when considering all the factors, these toys most certainly are the best toys for 1 year old. Little ones will have a blast exploring this list of toys!