When you have a new baby at home, finding the best formula for newborns quickly becomes a priority. While many moms receive a lot of free formula samples to welcome their newborn home, these are not always the best option for both mama and baby. The task only gets more daunting if you’re looking for something hypoallergenic, dairy free, or organic. Hopefully, this list will help you find the best baby formula for your family’s needs.
10. Pregestimil Hypoallergenic Infant Formula Powder
This hypoallergenic formula by Pregestimil is specially designed for babies who have issues absorbing fat. It is also lactose-free which means it’s even less likely to upset your baby’s tummy. It comes in both a powder and a ready to use formula, which is great for moms on the go.
• Pros: Perfect for sensitive stomachs or for babies with a dairy allergy.
• Cons: Baby might not love it at first, especially if they are transitioning from breastmilk.
• Bottom Line: The perfect formula for babies with milk allergies.
9. The Honest Co. Organic Premium Infant Formula
The Honest Company has a strong brand dedication to using organic products, and this formula is no exception. It is organic, gluten-free, and made from non-GMO ingredients. It also includes a vitamin D supplement, which is important for the baby’s nutrition and is lacking in breastmilk.
• Pros: Organic and gluten free.
• Cons: This is a milk based formula and might not be appropriate for babies with dairy sensitivities.
• Bottom Line: A good organic baby formula that is also nutritionally complete.
8. Vermont Organics Soy-Based Organic Infant Formula with Iron (pack of 4)
Note: This formula from Vermont Organics is currently unavailable. If you’re looking for another soy-based option, check out this soy formula from Baby’s Only.
Soy-based formulas can offer a good substitute for traditional milk based powders. This certified organic powder uses soy proteins instead of milk, meaning it’s not only gentler for infants, but it also is guaranteed to not have added growth hormones sometimes found in cow’s milk. The fully balanced nutritional ingredients make this the best organic formula. Because of its composition, it is also a contender to be the best formula for breastfed babies.
• Pros: Certified organic and lactose-free, this formula is also kosher and gluten-free.
• Cons: Very difficult to find in your local store. If you run out of this before you order more, you’re probably out of luck in the meantime.
• Bottom Line: Amazing formula. Easily the best formula for newborns with food allergies and sensitivities.
7. Enfamil Ready-to-Use Baby Formula (Pack of 4)
There is no denying the convenience of ready to use formula. This formula can be stored at room temperature until you need to use it, which means you won’t have to worry about your water being too hot to use with powdered formula or about hauling both water and powder in your diaper bag.
• Pros: Convenience with complete nutrition for your baby.
• Cons: Does contain allergens like lactose and whey.
• Bottom Line: a convenient formula that is appropriate for the majority of infants.
6. Similac Pro-Advance Infant Formula (Pack of 6)
These ready to use bottles are a convenient 2oz size that is perfect for newborns. It has also been specially formulated for newborn babies and uses non-GMO ingredients. The HMO formula helps support the newborn immune systems and can help formula fed infants’ immune systems measure up.
• Pros: Convenient; this is the best formula for newborns needing ready to use formula.
• Cons: If your baby is a snacker, you could end up wasting a lot of formula.
• Bottom Line: This is the best formula for newborns and moms who want a ready to use formula.
5. Nutramigen Formula for Cows Milk Allergy, Nursette Bottles, 2 Ounce (6 Count)
Finding a ready-to-use formula that is also hypoallergenic and lactose-free can be a nightmare. This formula is not only perfect for babies with milk allergies, but also helps to effectively manage colic, meaning new parents can squeeze out a few more minutes of sleep.
• Pros: Hypoallergenic with convenient packaging and peace of mind for parents of babies with colic.
• Cons: It’s relatively expensive and, like other 2oz ready to use formulas, if your baby is a snacker, you’ll end up throwing a lot of formula out.
• Bottom Line: Convenient and safe, this is the best formula for newborns with a variety of gastrointestinal issues.
4. Gerber Good Start Gentle Non-GMO Powder Infant Formula for Supplementing
Exclusively breastfeeding can be difficult for some moms and impossible for others. This formula has been specially designed to supplement breastfeeding in newborns. It is easily digestible and has non-GMO ingredients and vitamin D support which is essential for breastfed infants. All of that together make this the best formula for breastfed babies.
• Pros: Specially designed for babies who are also breastfeeding.
• Cons: It’s a supplemental formula and is meant to be used with breastfeeding and not as an exclusive formula.
• Bottom Line: The best formula for newborns who are bottle fed and breastfed.
3. Enfamil Gentlease Baby Formula Refill Box
Newborns have notoriously picky stomachs, and that can mean a lot of headaches for mom and dad. This formula by Enfamil is specially designed with easy-to-digest proteins. It has been specially formulated for fussy and gassy babies while still providing complete nutrition.
• Pros: Helps with fussiness and gas.
• Cons: Still contains milk.
• Bottom Line: The best formula for babies who are fussy and don’t have a sensitivity to cow’s milk.
2. Earth’s Best Organic Sensitivity Infant Formula with Iron (Pack of 4)
This formula is for everyone in the market for a kosher, organic, infant formula that has also been specifically designed for fussy babies with gas; and that’s not an easy combo to find. This formula definitely fits the bill and, while it is milk based, it’s also gluten free.
• Pros: A good organic formula specifically designed for fussy babies.
• Cons: It can be difficult to get the powdered formula to dissolve completely.
• Bottom Line: This is the best organic baby formula for fussy infants.
1. Gerber Good Start Gentle Powder Infant Formula
The Gerber brand has become synonymous with baby food, and their formula is no exception. While offering complete nutrition, it also has proteins designed for easy digestion. This formula also helps promote proper development of your baby’s digestive tract and is perfect for routine formula feeding.
• Pros: Gentle on your baby’s tummy and perfect for routine formula feeding.
• Cons: Some parents might not love the smell once they mix it.
• Bottom Line: The best formula for newborns who are exclusively fed on formula and have occasional gas or upset stomach.
The best baby formula for one child might be entirely wrong for another. The way to find the best formula for your newborn is going to be a lot of research and quite a bit of trial and error. However, once you find that perfect match, all of your effort pays off in the form of a happy and well-fed baby. Happy hunting and here’s hoping this list helps you find the best formula for newborns.