What can you do when your newborn suddenly develops a diaper rash that you know is causing more than its fair share of discomfort? If you want to find the best diaper rash cream for newborns, research is vitally important. Look for one that will not only alleviate baby’s discomfort but will also provide healing benefits.
Generally, you should be looking for a product rated highly by pediatricians as well as by other parents who have used that particular brand. Some creams are 100% natural while others may be medicated. Pricing varies from just a few dollars to around $20, depending on quality and size. After diligent research, we have found the following to be the most highly rated, and consequently, the best diaper rash creams for newborns in 2018.
10. Era Organics USDA Certified Organic Soothing Diaper Rash Treatment for Sensitive Skin
Rarely will you find a diaper rash product that is able to boast USDA certification for meeting the criteria to be rated organic. Additionally, this soothing diaper rash treatment is the perfect solution for newborns with sensitive skin. It’s made with chickweed, chamomile, castor oil, beeswax, cocoa butter, vegetable glycerin, coconut oil, arrowroot, calendula, avocado oil, and other nurturing ingredients for delicate skin, all organic.
- Contains the healing and soothing power of plant-based ingredients
- Very effective in preventing and treating diaper rashes
- USDA Certified Organic
- The texture is thinner than usual
- Although effective, it’s not specifically designed for diaper rash
Bottom line: Although one of the most remarkable ingredients, calendula, is well known to parents familiar with organic and natural products, many new to nature’s best won’t understand the benefits at first. We recommend this as one of the best diaper rash cream for newborns options because it is USDA Certified Organic and as natural as they come.
9. Desitin Rapid Relief Diaper Rash Remedy
From the well-known maker of baby rash treatments, no list of great diaper rash treatments would be complete without the inclusion of Desitin. This is a product which most hospitals around the United States use. Parents will find that its active ingredient, zinc oxide, not only helps to protect baby’s delicate skin but is also an almost miraculous healing agent.
- Zinc oxide for fast healing and long-lasting protection
- Trusted brand with a long history
- Pediatrician recommended diaper rash cream
- Can be sticky due to zinc oxide
- Cleanup is more difficult after application
- Not organic
Bottom line: Since it’s pediatrician-recommended, it’s definitely one of the best on the market; however, it’s not organic.
8. Boudreaux’s Butt Paste Diaper Rash Ointment
Developed by a pharmacist that’s also a father of four, Bourdeaux’s Butt Cream contains 16% zinc oxide. It has a thick consistency that makes it easy to apply and highly effective from the first use as it offers long-lasting protection. In addition, it has a discreet smell that is highly appreciated by most parents who used it.
- Very thick consistency, yet non-greasy
- Free of talc, dyes, parabens, preservatives, or phthalates
- Easy access container thanks to the flip
- Can stain clothes
- Not fragrance-free
Bottom line: This butt paste is the thickest and, according to some parents, the best diaper rash cream for newborns on the market. It’s effective in sealing out moisture and irritants while protecting and nurturing very sensitive skin.
7. California Baby Calendula Cream
The reason by so many parents consider this to be the best diaper rash cream for newborns is because of its remarkable inclusion of calendula in the formulation. This main active ingredient in this product is said to have amazing anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties which are more than necessary in the treatment of diaper rashes.
- For use on all skin types, including dry or sensitive skin
- Ingredients are natural and vegan
- Can be effective as a healing treatment for minor cuts and abrasions
- Promotes deep hydration of the skin
- Non-medicated which is what some parents call for
Bottom line: Nothing is as painful to a newborn as a raw and burning diaper rash, so use the healing power of the calendula herbaceous species if your baby is not found to be bothered by topical allergens.
6. Boudreaux’s Maximum Strength Butt Paste
Although Boudreaux’s Butt Paste contains zinc oxide and petroleum, many parents are happy with the pleasant fragrance and the inclusion of Peruvian balsam in the formulation. This can truly be classified as the best diaper rash cream for newborns if we consider its effectiveness.
- Recommended by leading pediatricians
- An amazing 40% healing zinc oxide
- For the treatment as well as prevention of painful diaper rashes
- Zinc oxide can be messy to work with
- Contains petroleum which some parents try to avoid
- Parents who avoid scents don’t like the fragrance
Bottom line: For the very same reasons some parents will avoid this treatment, others find it to their liking. Fragrance and petroleum products don’t appeal to a great number of people, but others find their diaper rash answers in this particular formulation with Peruvian balsam.
5. Weleda Diaper Care Cream with Calendula
Weleda Diaper Care Cream with Calendula is highly recommended throughout Europe as well as in the USA. Gentle and effective, this is one diaper rash preparation which you can apply on even the most sensitive of skins. It’s made with high-quality calendula extract from a company-owned biodynamic garden located in Germany.
- Free of parabens or phthalates
- Not tested on animals
- Made with ingredients from trusted sources
- The cream is not medicated
- Packaging varies which can cause some confusion
Bottom line: Although this product is well known throughout the EU, many American moms and dads have not had the pleasure of using this formulation. Weleda Diaper Care Cream with Calendula is often considered the best diaper rash cream for newborns throughout Germany, the entire EU and even throughout the UK and many parts of Canada.
4. Triple Paste Medicated Ointment for Diaper Rash
Sometimes parents tend to shy away from medicated diaper rash treatments because they are laboring under the assumption that medicated creams will give a burning sensation to sensitive skin. This is not the case with Triple Paste Medicated Ointment for Diaper Rash, making it the perfect diaper rash cream for newborns. It’s hypoallergenic and fragrance-free, which makes it safe for babies with severe diaper rash.
- Formulated for both the prevention and relief of diaper rashes
- Hypoallergenic and fragrance-free
- Some parents find the size a bit large for a diaper cream
Bottom line: We have found this to be a soothing and fast-acting relief of diaper rashes from mild to moderately severe. Triple Paste Medicated Ointment definitely meets with the approval of parents and our panel of experts alike. Therefore we place it high on the list and we can list it as the best diaper rash cream for newborns considering its ingredients.
3. Bepanthen Diaper (Nappy) Care Ointment
You will soon find much to recommend Bepanthen Diaper Care Ointment as one of the offerings of the world-renowned Bayer Pharmaceutics. With more than its fair share of positive feedback from happy customers, Bepanthen Nappy Care Ointment is the go-to product for many parents around the globe.
- From a trusted name in tens of millions of homes globally
- Dual action preparation to protect as well as to heal
- Color, preservative, and fragrance-free
- Safe for all skin types
- At only 3.52 ounces, the bottle is quite small
Bottom line: Whether you understand the British word ‘nappy’ to mean diaper or not, we can honestly recommend this in the coveted top 3. We find it to be one of the best diaper rash creams for newborns because it is an offering from Bayer Pharmaceuticals which comes with a history of trust. If you are looking to place your baby’s bottom in the care of a high-quality manufacturer, it would be Bayer.
2. Olivene Baby Diaper Rash Ointment by Dr. Fischer
This particular ointment is highly recommended by customers who have purchased and used the ointment on their infants. Olivene Baby Diaper Rash Ointment by Dr. Fischer can honestly be rated as the best diaper rash cream for newborns because it is one of the few selections with an amazing 4.9 out of 5 stars rating.
- Effective in reducing irritation
- Highly recommended by pediatricians for its ability to soothe and nourish the skin
- A fast-acting, maximum strength preparation
- Hypoallergenic formulation for even the most sensitive skin
- High percentage of positive customer reviews
- Questionable lack of negative feedback is a cause of concern to some
- Natural ingredients lack known pharmaceutical healing agents
Bottom line: We find it strange, once again, that the same things which command a product to some are the cause of concern for others. Still, we really do highly recommend Olivene Baby Diaper Rash Ointment by Dr. Fischer as the second best diaper rash cream on this list.
Recommended read: If your baby is prone to getting diaper rash, make sure you also check out our collection of the best overnight diapers that will keep your baby’s delicate skin ventilated and dry!
1. High Street Medicated Diaper Rash Cream for Babies
According to the Mayo Clinic website, there are several factors which could result in a rash, especially in newborns who have ultra-sensitive skin. Anything from prolonged exposure to a wet diaper to allergens and sensitivity to new products could be the root cause. This diaper rash cream had a perfect 5-star rating at the moment of writing, which makes it the absolute best diaper rash cream available on the market according to verified customers. It contains 12% zinc oxide, petrolatum, cornstarch, lanolin, beeswax, camellia, and other nurturing ingredients.
- Prevents and treats diaper rash like no other
- The highest percentage of satisfied customers
- Easy to apply
- Multi-use formulation also hydrates the baby’s skin
- Some parents prefer something a bit stronger than this cream for ‘ultra-sensitive skin’
- Availability may be limited
Bottom line: Pharmaceutically medicated or not, High Street Formulations has effectively produced the best diaper rash cream for newborns in the Medicated Diaper Rash Cream for Babies section.
So here you have ten of what we have found to be the very best diaper rash creams for newborns in 2018. From organic and natural products to offerings from globally renowned pharmaceutical companies, you can choose between products highly recommended by parents and doctors alike.
We invite you to share your thoughts on the best diaper rash cream for newborns you have used from our list, but also we’d like to hear about any other products you have found helpful in easing your baby’s oftentimes painful rash. No one knows baby better than you, the parents, so your input is truly welcome.