Being a new parent is tough whether it's a hundred years ago or today. That being said, being a parent in the 21st century certainly has some perks. Modern technology has produced some nifty devices that curb a few of the parental difficulties we once considered being inevitable. One such a device is the baby monitor which has become a standard in most parents' arsenal of tools. It can be tough picking out the right one, though, and that's what we're going to help you with. Follow along, and we'll lead you to the best baby monitor for you.
With a proper baby monitor, you'll have 24/7 virtual access to your child. Regardless of where you are, you will be able to check on your baby without waking him or her up. Depending on the monitor, you may even be able to track sleep or breathing rates.
We hope you're getting excited about hearing about these new capabilities! If you're excited so are we. In this article, we will provide you with an overview of what we consider being the 10 best baby monitors. We will cover each product comprehensively, giving you all the information you need to pick the baby monitor of your dreams. So, if you're ready, let's get you started.
1. What Is A Baby Monitor?
A baby monitor, sometimes called a baby alarm, is a remote device that allows you to see and hear your baby from afar. They have become a staple in modern parenting and come highly recommended for any new parent. With a baby monitor, you will be able to hear when your infant wakes in the night. When you're out of the house, you will be able to check on them without waking or otherwise disturbing them. Some baby monitors allow you to talk to your infant or even play their favorite crib songs.
2. Do I Really Need A Baby Monitor?
If you typically sleep in the same room as your infant or live in a space small enough to see and hear what's going on, your need is less urgent. The main benefits of having a baby monitor will appeal to parents who sleep separately from their infants and want to be able to check on them without waking them up.
That being said, you should always consider the convenience factor that a baby monitor provides. With a monitor, you have more freedom. You can check up on your baby while you're out and about. You can slip out into another room and get some much-needed relaxation time. And if you ever leave your baby in the care of a nanny, you can keep an eye on them both.
3. What Qualities Should I Expect From The Best Baby Monitors?
The best baby monitors will have plenty of features apart from the standard function of letting you watch and hear your baby. They may let you talk to your baby. They might be able to play music. Some most sophisticated devices may even be able to provide up-to-date information about your baby's breathing or heart rate. The best baby monitors will also be unobtrusive, giving your infant the most comfortable experience possible.
4. Where Can I Buy A Baby Monitor?
Most baby stores will carry baby monitors through the most reliable place to get the 10 on our list would be Amazon.
5. Price Range
$100 to $300
How We Reviewed
We reviewed the following product based on the following parameters: features, pros and cons, price, where they can be bought, and warranty. We chose these parameters because they allowed us to assess each product in a comprehensive manner without any bias. We believe that with this information, the average consumer should be able to find the right baby monitor for their needs.
Overall Price Range Of This Product
(and Similar Products)
The price range is $100 to $300. In general, the main price factors include the brand name, the extra features, the range, and the quality of the display.
What We Reviewed
The iBaby Monitor M6S features 1080P HD video with night vision. It comes with Wi-Fi capabilities and will support dual-band routers at both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. This monitor is able to play your baby lullabies and even read bedtime stories. It takes pictures, records videos, and even provides you with a motion alert timeline. It works in conjunction with a free iOS and Android app, and it less than 60 seconds to install.
- 2018 AWARD WINNER: Popular Mechanics Best Baby Monitor, 9/25/18
- Interchangeable optical lens capability: allows you to customize viewing angle and zoom
- Unlike internet cameras: no loading time to open app. Instant playback, lag-free, and does not hog up your smartphone...
The Infant Optics DXR-8 has an interchangeable optical lens, enabling you to choose your own viewing angles and zoom in remotely. It has a 3.5-inch color LCD display in its accompanying unit.
- Parent unit features large 5" LCD color screen with LED sound level indicator and rechargeable battery with low battery...
- Room temperature display, two-way communication, 5 soothing lullabies and split-screen viewing (requires additional...
- Portable camera features rechargeable battery with remote pan, tilt and zoom, infrared night vision, high sensitivity...
The Motorola MBP36XL on the best baby monitor list features a portable and rechargeable camera with remote pan, tilt, zoom, and high sensitivity microphone features. It comes with a 5-inch color screen in a portable unit and is Wi-Fi functional. The MBP36XL has a room temperature display and is capable of infrared night vision. It allows for 2-way communication, and it can even sing 5 different lullabies. It also allows for split-screen viewing (this feature requires an additional camera sold separately).
- Best view of baby day and night: See and hear your baby 24/7 with HD live streaming, unparalleled night vision, and zoom...
- The Nanit Wall Mount: No painful set-up. No exposed cords. Nanit easily mounts to the wall behind your crib, giving you...
- Smart notifications: Nanit tracks sound and motion to keep you in the know about what's happening in the nursery....
The Nanit Sleep System allows for 24/7 coverage in HD live streaming with night vision and zoom capabilities. The Nanit can connect to Wi-Fi, even when the Internet is out. It comes with a Nanit Wall Mount, making for easy, clean setup. The monitor can track sound, motion, temperature, and humidity. It also features a Soft Glow Night Light.
- Wide angle lens video camera with digital zoom
- 5.0" high resolution color LCD video display, with black and white automatic night vision; 800-ft. range
- 100% digital technology for privacy and security
This best baby monitor features a wide-angle lens video camera capable of zoom, link-ups with additional cameras, and audio scans. The display unit has a 5.0"high-resolution color LCD display with black and white night vision. It has a range of 800 feet.
- Baby video monitor with FHSS technology for a secure private connection to your baby with a 3.5" color screen
- Wall mountable with automatic infrared night vision
- Comfort your little one with the talkback feature, a night light or lullabies, while monitoring the temperature in the...
The AVENT is a monitor with FHSS technology, which allows a secure and private connection to your baby through a 3.5" color screen. The camera is mountable to the wall and is capable of infrared night vision. It has a convenient talkback feature as well as a night light and lullabies.
- Remotely listen and view on multiple devices, even outside the home. This system allows for local and remote viewing...
- 5-inch touch screen on parent unit easily lets you see every angle of the nursery. Pinch the screen to digitally...
- The camera transmits 720p high-definition video, so you can clearly see your little on the parent unit, your smartphone...
The VM991 is capable of both local and remote viewing and listening through its accompanying MyVTech Baby app. It comes with a unit with a 5" touchscreen that is able to provide 720p HD video.
- DON'T MISS A THING WITH NEST ALERTS: Whether the kids just came home from school or the dog has decided to eat those new...
- BE HEARD WITH NEST: Nest Cam Indoor has a built-in speaker and mic, so you can hear what's happening at home. Or tell...
- SET IT UP ANYWHERE: The compact size of the Nest Cam makes installation a breeze. Nest Cam Indoor's stand works in all...
The Nest Nest Cam is compatible with Alexa for voice control. It features automatic alerts through the Nest App whenever the monitor catches movement or activity. It has a built-in speaker and microphone and can communicate with other smart devices around the house.
The BabyVIEW has VGA resolution, a digital signal reaching up to 800 feet, and a 3.5-inch color LCD display. It has two-way audio, a built-in mic, and speaker, and can be linked up with 3 additional cameras. It features a quiet mode to reduce white background noise.
- 5" High-Definition LCD Baby Monitor with up to 16 hour battery life and the ability to record video and snap photos with...
- 1.5" Audio Video Mini Monitor included, with up to 8 hour battery life, makes it easy to watch baby while doing laundry...
- Secure 2.4 GHz static-free digital wireless transmission with range up to 800 feet with clear line of sight; Play...
This best baby monitor has a 16-hour battery life and a 5" HD display. It can record video, take pictures, and store it all on a micro SD card. It comes with a 1.5" Audio Video Mini Monitor and is capable of a secure 2.4 GHz static-free wireless transmission with a range of 800 feet. It can play a number of sounds, including lullabies, white noise, and natural sounds.
Of the ten best baby monitors we reviewed, we settled on 2 monitors both worth of the title of the best baby monitor.
Our first choice is the Nanit Sleep System. This monitor is the most expensive of the 10, but it is worth every cent. If you want a bug-free experience, this is the surest way to go. It has a ton of extra features, and with its unique wall mount, you can get an overhead view of your infant. We gave this product a price rating of $$$.
Our second choice is a great alternative for people who can't shell out for the Nanit. It is the Infant Optics DXR-8, selling for $150. It offers the best value of the ten and has no major flaws while exceeding average performance in every aspect. We gave it a price rating of $$.